Pages

Thursday, December 08, 2011

Chicken Marsala

First off, I'd like to say that I wasn't happy with how these pictures came out. But the meal was just so darn good, so I decided to post it anyway. I've been sitting on it for the last couple of weeks trying to decide if I should use them or not.

I really wish I would have taken pictures of last night's meatloaf meal. Seriously good. Change your life kinda stuff. And not your typical meatloaf either.

That's the fireman's favorite meal, though so I can confirm that it'll be made again before too long.

I use Marsala wine, chicken broth and mushrooms. I found these fun dehydrated mushrooms at the oriental store, but normally would just use button mushrooms. These mushrooms were fun, but I like the thicker texture of the button. So, you should stick with those.

Pound your chicken flat in a ziploc bag to about 1/4 inch thick. I cut them in half, thickness-wise cause I was in a hurry.

Salt and pepper the chicken and pan fry in a teaspoon of oil.


Only cook a few pieces at a time, otherwise there is too much moisture in the pan and they won't get brown. You could add more oil to solve this problem, but I try not to add additional fat.

This is a really lean meal.
Once all of your chicken is cooked and browned, pour in about 2 cups of marsala wine. I used the cooking wine with no alcohol, but feel free to use the good stuff. I just happened to have this on hand.

This deglazes the pan and keeps all of those yummy bits of food and flavor that you made while browning.


Bring this to a boil.

Add 1 1/2 cups beef stock/broth. Last time I used beef stock and it had a richer flavor. I used chicken here and while it was good, I think I will go back to the beef.
I added the mushrooms at this point, because they need to rehydrate. If you are using button mushrooms, you will add them after you cook the chicken. Add another teaspoon of olive oil and saute the mushrooms, then add your wine. 
Bring this to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes to reduce the liquid by about half.

This makes your sauce thicker and richer. It's seriously good.

Add your chicken back to the pan with the thickened sauce. I covered my pan for few minutes to make sure the chicken was fully cooked inside and to rewarm it.

I know the chicken doesn't look very browned here, but it was. Bad photography.

That's a little better.

Seriously, don't let the photographer turn you away from this one. The sauce is really to die for. Give it a try and enjoy a 'light' meal.

The sauce would be awesome over mashed potatoes. You could sprinkle a bit of mozzerella cheese over the chicken breast when served to add another flavor to it.

Also good with peas or asparagus.

The Recipe:
4 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 inch thick (salted and peppered)
1 teaspoon olive oil (for cooking chicken)
1 small container of button mushrooms, or 2 cups
1 teaspoon olive oil (for cooking mushrooms)
2 cups marsala wine
1 1/2 cups beef stock or broth

Brown your chicken breasts with a teaspoon of olive oil, then saute your mushrooms in the same pan.
Remove your chicken breasts to a plate. Pour in marsala wine to deglaze the pan, bring to a boil, then add the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 min or until the sauce reduces by half. Return chicken and juices to sauce and cover to warm chicken through, 5 minutes.
Serve!

No comments: