Pages

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake

I know this sounds soooo weird, but I'll tell you what.

The fireman said this is one of the best chocolate cake's he's ever had. It did not last long in the house.

It's so moist and delicious.

It's total craziness. It's so good you can't stay out of it. I literally ate half the batch the first night. Then, my parents came over and between them and the fireman and I, we polished it off.

So easy to make, you don't even need a mixing bowl!

Just toss all of your ingredients into a blender, except for the chocolate chips. Then, blend until smooth.

Although, when you're opening up your garbanzo beans, it's important that you use the star pattern to open them.
Just like me, open them like this cause you broke your can opener.  It just makes them taste better....not.

Pour into a greased 8x8 pan.
And bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. I baked mine for about 28 minutes and they were perfectly cooked in the center.

Because there is very little flour in this cake and very little sugar, the carb count is low, too. The garbanzo beans have fiber, which is good for you and gives them a lower carb count.

If you want a frosting on this cake, you could just add more chocolate chips right when you pull it out of the oven and let it sit on the hot cake for 2-3 minutes, then use your knife to smooth it across the top. Easy!

Now don't you want some of this? I know you do.

I really couldn't get over how moist it was. It doesn't have a deep dark chocolate flavor, you could use more cocoa powder or dark cocoa powder if you really need that, but it has a really great chocolatey flavor. The instant coffee gives a little extra depth to it, but you could leave it out if you don't like coffee flavoring.
It also has a really tender crumb.

Yum!

The Recipe:
Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake
1 16oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) rinsed
3 eggs
3 Tbl vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup flour
4 Tbl cocoa powder
2/3 cup white sugar ( I used 1/3 cup white sugar, 1/3 cup baking sweetener)
1 tsp instant coffee (optional)
1/4 cup chocolate chips to sprinkle on top

Mix all ingredients, except chocolate chips in a blender until smooth. Pour out into a greased 8x8 pan, top with chocolate chips and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

For frosting, after poured in pan, don't top with chocolate chips before baking. After the cake is baked, pull it out, immediately sprinkle the top with 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, let sit 2-3 minutes for the chips to melt and spread using a knife across the top.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm intrigued. Definitely will hafta try this one. My mother might even be able to eat this since it's low in carbs! :)

Kelly said...

I've made many garbanzo and black bean desserts, and this one is pretty good. I made a few substitutions. 1. "flax eggs" to veganize 2. coconut oil 3. spelt flour 4. Sucanat sugar to veganize. I'll keep this one in my rotation and make again.