Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Low Carb Chocolate Pudding Cake


By the way, did I mention that I made it to my diet goal? Well, that's not entirely accurate. I stopped 2 lbs away from my goal. But in my defense, I sat at that weight for 3 weeks without movement. And during this time, I increased my workouts and was super strict.

So, I think that's as far as I can go at this time. Maybe my workouts will continue to improve tone. But honestly? I'm quite happy with my results. So, I don't feel like I'm quitting by stopping 2 lbs short.

As the Dukan diet instructs, now I slowly add food back into my diet, so that my weight can consolidate.

I'm having 1 celebration meal per week and 1 starch per week. Last night I had spaghetti and it was good. I also have 2 slices of whole grain bread a day and 1 serving of fruit. Life is good.

Last night, I also wanted something chocolately, but I didn't want to throw myself under the bus, diet speaking. Even with the Dukan diet, you're allowed 2 tablespoons of cornstarch per day, so I worked with that.


Combine cornstarch, salt, baking powder, sugar and only 1 tablespoon of cocoa.

Mix this up lightly, so you don't have any clumps.

Add your milk and oil. Mix lightly. Then, pour half into 2 lightly oiled ramekins. Oil it all the way up the sides as it raises quite a bit while cooking.

I know, it's out of focus. I thought it came out fine last night.

I blame it on the chocolate craving.

Now, this is where it gets weird. Sprinkle the remaining cocoa and sugar directly over the batter.

Weird!

Now, get your water really hot, then pour half over each ramekin. I microwaved my pyrex measuring cup and then poured it into the first ramekin until there was only a little more than 1/2 a cup in the measuring cup, so that they each got about half.

DO NOT STIR THIS!

I know, that's just crazy talk.

Just leave it alone and stick in your oven or toaster oven for 40-45 minutes.

It takes quite a while to cook, so you will probably get up quite often to check on it. My chocoate cravings made me. I was pacing around the kitchen like a tiger.

I kept thinking, it's going to burn! It didn't.

When it comes out, it's like chocolate cake on top, with a chocolate, fudgy, pudding-like sauce on the bottom. This is okay, it's a pudding and there are no eggs to worry about.

I scooped a little light Cool-Whip on it and some sliced strawberries.

Do I know how to live or what?

The Recipe: inspired by How Sweet Eats.
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar ( I used zero calorie brown baking sugar)
5 Tablespoons cocoa powder (divided)
1/4 cup , plus 2 teaspoons milk
1 Tbl oil
1/3 cup brown sugar (again I used zero calorie brown baking sugar)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons hot water

Combine cornstarch, salt, baking powder, sugar and 1 Tablespoon cocoa. Stir in milk and oil. Pour into 2 oiled ramekins. Combine brown sugar and remaining cocoa and sprinkle over batter. Pour hot water over top (do not stir). Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Oh, and you could double this recipe to fit a 9x9 pan, but I try not to have temptation around the house! :)
Top with Cool Whip and sliced strawberries!
And then?

Please do this.
Thank you.


2 comments:

Jana said...

I've made the regular version of this before so I'll need to give this one a go sometime. Looks scrumptious. :)

JenMarie said...

Thanks! It's about half the carb value of the original recipe.