Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

Garlic Kale Chips

I was pretty hesitant about how good Kale Chips could be. I had heard about them from Shutterbean and they sounded interesting, but I was a little hesitant.
Okay, a lot hesitant. It sounded healthy and all, but um, ew.

Then, my friend Jana said she was going to try them, and I was excited cause I could see if they were any good or not. Cause she's a good judge of yummy foods.

She liked them and then it still took me a couple of months or so to get around to buying some and another week yet to actually cook them.

The Fireman: Are you actually going to cook this Kale?

Me: Uh, yeah? Why?

The Fireman: Casue you wanted me to find it for you and I did and now it's sitting in the fridge. It's not going to be good forever.

M: I know.

The Fireman: This reminds me of the time you bought tofu. A year ago.

Me: I finally made tofu. Remember the Orange Sesame Tofu? It was great!

The Fireman: That was in March. How many times did you buy tofu and end up tossing it cause you thought it was too old.

Me: I really don't remember any of this.

The Fireman: Figures....

So, I made Kale on Sunday. I had to wait until The Fireman was home to appreciate it, too! I made it after dinner cause he was hungry last night and I didn't have time to make it before his burgers were done.

It was still yummy. Actually, it ended up better that way, cause it's more like a snack than a side dish.

It's pretty easy to make, just grab a few kale leaves, I used 4. Tear the leaves off the stalk and tear into bite sized pieces.

Put them on a cookie sheet. I used a really small cookie sheet cause I only wanted to make a small batch. I still wasn't sure how it was going to taste.
Pour a teaspoon or two of olive oil over them. Then, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Toss with your hands to mix it up.


Spread them out a bit so that they are somewhat single layered.

Wash your hands, cause they're all oily and salty. Actually, wait don't wash your hands, but instead rub them together. The salt will exfoliate your hands and the oil will hydrate them.

That's enough, now you can wash them.

Now, bake your greens in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until crisp and crunchy.

Isn't that nice? You get a snack plus a hand treatment.
Aren't you glad you came to see me today?

I'm full of surprises....

The youngest boy really liked these. He was surprised, taking a bite, "Wow, that's really good!" and looking at them funny, then trying another piece. The fireman really liked them, too. They taste very green and a little garlicky and salty. They get nice and crispy. Seriously. I was surprised at how crispy they got. Also, it surprised me how thin they cook out to be. Kale leaves are somewhat thick and they bake up so thin and crisp.

Did you get that they are crispy? I need a thesaurus.

The Recipe:
Garlic Kale Chips
4-5 kale leaves
2 tsp olive oil
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste

Tear kale off stalks and into bite-sized pieces. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder lightly over kale. Toss with hands until covered. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until crispy.

2 comments:

Jana said...

Yay!! I'm so glad you tried and liked these. They really are surprisingly good.

I've also tried it with the white cheddar powder that you get for popcorn and that's super delish, too. I think I waited until the kale was cooked and out of the oven, though, before shaking it over everything.

I haven't made this for a while, though. Need to buy Kale this weekend. ha ha

BTW, LOVE the conversation with your Fireman. Too, too cute. ;-)

JenMarie said...

Ooh! White cheddar powder....I really have to try that!