Pages

Monday, May 07, 2012

Roasted Garbanzo Beans (chickpeas)

I love trying new recipes with the fireman. It's fun and something we can do together. And he's crazy when he cooks, just so you know...
Sometimes things get thrown...

This one involves beans, baked until they're crispy and crunchy and then seasoned with whatever you want.



What is it with me and garbanzo beans lately? First, I make a Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake, which by the way, I had NO idea would be so popular! Now I want to do more fun, awesome things with beans. Like, roast them!

You can use any garbanzo beans, organic just happened to be on sale.
Rinse them with a little water to get any risidual starch off them.
Spread them out on a sheet of parchment paper and bake! We will season afterwards.
They bake for quite a while, and keep checking on them. They will get nice and crispy once they're ready. Like a roasted nut, but not as dense. Maybe a cross between roasted nuts and popcorn.....maybe.
We split them up into two batches, so we could try different seasonings.

This is half the batch. Lightly drizzle with oil, I totally wrote sprinkle with oil, then deleted it. You can't sprinkle oil. Geez. I write weird things like that all the time. Good thing I have the sense to delete them...

Then, sprinkle with whatever seasoning you like! This is especially fun cause kids can season their own, and kids LOVE to personalize their meals/snacks.

Salty Sweet Version (mine, duh)
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
few dashes of chili powder

Garlic Cheese Version (fireman's)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
dashes of salt
1/2 tsp popcorn cheese powder

You could season and them bake if you'd prefer it, I don't know that it'd make much of a difference, except sugars would burn, but some of the spices might be more flavorful if you do.

These go really quickly! I loved that you could just pop a few in your mouth as you go. What am I saying? I ate my half-batch within minutes. They're tasty!

The Recipe:
Roasted Garbanzo Beans
Rinse 1 can of garbanzo beans, spread out on parchment paper and bake at 425 for 35-40 minutes or until crispy.
Drizzle with approx 2 tsp oil and add seasonings of choice.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great. How is the carb count on these?

Anonymous said...

I've tried pan roasted chickpeas before (didn't care for them) but never tried roasting in the oven. I may have to give them another go just to see if there's any positive difference. ;-)

I still have that chickpea chocolate cake on my list of recipes to try. ;)

JenMarie said...

1/4 cup of the garbanzo beans is is 27gr carbs, 8 gr fiber, net 19gr carbs

Basically, it's just the count of the beans, but if you add other things, like cheese, it could change.