Pages

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Enchilada Pie

When I was a kid, I didn't like Mexican food, which doesn't make sense now. Now, it's one of my favorite things to eat. Between that and Italian, I could live on weeks filled with spaghetti and chimichanga's.

For Cinco de Mayo, I made a large portion of Chimichanga's and this enchilada pie. Normally, I make enchilada's the real way, where you fry the enchilada's dipped in the red sauce. It's messy. VERY messy. So, I thought I'd try something different.



I browned up 2 pounds of hamburger meat. To that I added garlic powder, onion powder and about 2/3rds of a large can of red sauce.
Then, I let this simmer for a while, just to combine.

In a 9x13 pan, pour a little red sauce onto the bottom of the pan and two corn tortillas. Top with a layer of meat sauce.
I like mine with lots of sauce, so I drizzled a little more sauce on top of the meat sauce mixture.
Then continue to layer with meat and sauce and corn tortillas. If a few bits of meat gets outa hand, just shove them back on your layer. You're going to want the meat layers to be as even as possible so that the next layer sits neatly on top.
To end it off, top with one more corn tortilla and some more red sauce. Yum!

Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes or until the edges are nice and crispy.
When serving, I topped mine with yet more red sauce and some of the melty queso blanco. Just use your cheese grater and let it melt right on. Sorry, no pictures of that one.

I served these pie sliced into quarters. It gets a little messy, but so are regular enchilada's.

Reheat leftovers on a tinfoiled cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 and it will crisp up again. I know this because when I got home yesterday, I did just that. The pie was calling to me....

The recipe was easy and fast! I'll definitely be making it this way again.

The Recipe:
Enchilada Pie

2 pounds hamburger meat
1 large can of enchilada sauce or red sauce (mild or regular depending on how much heat you can handle) we used mild and I wish we would have used regular
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
about 8 corn tortillas

Brown hamburger meat, drain. Add garlic and onion powder and 2/3 can red sauce, or most. Layer in two stacks on a 9x13 pan. Start with red sauce drizzled on pan, then corn tortillas, then meat sauce. Drizzle with more red sauce before starting next layer. Layer until you've used up all your meat sauce, top with a corn tortilla and drizzle more red sauce on top.
Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until crispy on sides.

Serve with red sauce and mexican cheese.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM! I want to just face plant right into that.

Anonymous said...

Argh! That "anonymous" post was me, you trusty food ho, Jana. Blogger isn't recognizing me to day.

Anonymous said...

I know I commented on this yesterday. A couple of times, actually. I don't think your blog likes me anymore. *sob*

What I said, though, was that I could so totally face plant into this and die happy. YUM.

Jana

JenMarie said...

I feel kinda dolt-ish. I had no idea I had to check my spam folder. Does this mean I'm a bad blogger? Probably.

So sorry.....got them NOW, though.

And I love the faceplant comment. Absofreakinglutely. :D

Jana said...

LOL Not a bad blogger at all. I didn't know about the spam folder thing either until one day I was playing around with my blog and hit the comments link to the left and saw where it had a spot for spam, awaiting moderation, and regular. Turns out I had some in my spam AND the awaiting moderation folder from, like, MONTHS ago.

They need a tutorial on all this junk, right? lol