Pages

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Fried Cabbage & Zucchini

 This is another one of the fireman's dishes. He made this for us last night with my Pork Roast and Mashed Turnips.

My poor fireman has been at my beck and call lately. Ever since my foot surgery, I've been not cooking as often. He always cooks about 50% of the time anyway, but for a good two weeks there, he was the only one cooking/cleaning/getting kids ready for school/homework. I don't even remember some of the normal life things that I'm sure happened but he took care of.

But the biggest?

He did my laundry....


This is huge.

This is monumental.

Why?

Cause nearly every piece of my clothing gets hung up to dry. Even my delicates. What? I don't dry those things in the dryer. They're laid neatly on a rack. My shirts and jeans and dresses and slacks all get hung on thick plastic hangars to dry.

It takes, like 45 minutes to hang it all.

Not really, but you get the point.

The fireman rocks. Although this is no real surprise.

Back to the recipe.

Cut a half a head of lettuce into large chunks and a half a zucchini into slices and then chunks. Do the same to about a half an onion.

Heat your skillet to medium high, lightly oil it, and toss all of the veggies into the skillet, stirring as you go.

I don't have any pictures of the cut vegetables. The fireman may take a photo or two for me, but he doesn't take photos while he cooks......yet.

After the veggies are starting to soften, sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper. You get a nice garlic smell in the kitchen. And cooked cabbage just smells great, I think.
Here it is after we each took a serving. The fireman took this picture for me. Sweet.
The zucchini tastes surprisingly good with cabbage. I wouldn't have paired them, but they really complement each other.
The cabbage still has a bit of a bite to it, it's not cooked to death. This keeps it tasting fresh and bright.
I had to go back for seconds. It was soooo good.

The Recipe:
Fried Cabbage & Zucchini

1/2 head cabbage, cored and cut into large chunks
1/2 zucchini, sliced and quartered
1/2 onion, diced
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste (fireman says it needs a good cracked pepper taste)

Heat skillet over medium high, add olive oil, swirling around pan. Add all vegetables into pan and let cook, stirring occasionally until just tender, about 5 minutes.







No comments: