Pages

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

The Garden & Blueberry Pie

Pictures of the garden are finally here.
I know you were all waiting anxiously.
The girl, doing her best 'Ol Farmer' impression.
Here's a pic from the front fence. We will soon be putting up a 6 ft privacy fence around this instead of the chain link. Hopefully, that will happen this summer!

From left to right, we have Early Girl tomatoes, a spot saved for my family's Springfield tomatoes (family favorite that my mom saves and restarts each year). We take our tomatoes very seriously! A Roma tomato in the center, two grape tomatoes (one for me, one for the rest of the family). Then bell peppers, and two hills of crook-neck squash.

In the second bed, we have a jalepeno plant (in it's own pot so as to not contaminate the other plants with it's hottness). Hotness, it's a word. Look it up. A hill of zucchini squash, a bush cucumber, 4 brussells sprouts plants, and the last 3rd is planted with a mix of round leaf spinach, leaf lettuce and a spring mix of lettuces. I put them all in one seed packet and shook it. I told hubby that the salad would be pre-tossed. I laughed.

Sometimes I don't think others get my humor.

We planted this garden on Saturday, to procrastinate against going into the attic. We put that off until Sunday cause we could.

Last night while watering, I noticed the lettuce is already coming up!!! Yay!

On to the pie. Or really, pie's. I decided to make two pies, one for the neighbor and one for the neighbor's family. Cause they were going to eat some, I'm sure, and then he'd have none left!

The travesty!

So, I decided to try the pie filling in-a-can and frozen blueberries. One pie of each. I made a double crust for the frozen blueberries pie and found this recipe online.

Blueberry Pie:
4 cups blueberries
7 Tbl cornstarch
3 Tbl water
2 Tbl lemon juice
2/3 cups sugar
optional spices: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp allspice

I didn't use the optional spices. I'm a rebel.

You pour the blueberries in first, then mix the remaining ingredients and pour over. Top with pie crust.

Then, for the second pie, I only used a bottom crust, the pie filling in-a-can and used a crumb topping.

Crumb Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Mix together with a fork or knife, to cut in the butter. Do a little dance. Sprinkle over the top of the pie.

I baked both at 375 for 1 hour.

Then the girl and I put both pies on a jelly roll pan so they wouldn't slide, and carried them to the neighbor's house, fresh out of the oven.

They looked amazing, they smelled even better.

I forgot to take a picture.

I'm a bad blogger.


2 comments:

Jana said...

Premixed salad. LOL

I'd love to have the produce from a garden without all the work. It's all I can do to remember to water my new azaelia bushes, much less tend a garden. *shudders*

How sweet of you to bake pies for your neighbor! I hardly speak to mine, much less bake for them. I'm a bad neighbor. :-/

JenMarie said...

Actually, I enjoy puttering around the garden. It's nice to have something to do outside.

I like to walk around it and look at all the plants. It's exciting to me.