Pages

Friday, May 06, 2011

The Food

Ok, so this post is going to be about my Cinco de Mayo feast last night! Lordy, it was good.
I took about 8 chicken breasts and I just baked them. Nothing fancy, just threw 'em on a cookie sheet with foil to keep them moist. Then, I gave them a nice chop and threw them into this stock pot with a large can of mild enchilada sauce. The sauce, it is good. I also threw in about half a small can of green chiles. You can add as much as you like the flavor/heat. They're not vey spicy, but have a nice green flavor. I also added about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of salsa. I like to have little chunks of veggies in my shredded chicken. Then I threw the lid on it and cooked it down for about 30-40 min, stirring occasionally.

For a good long while, all you have is chicken cooking in the sauce. Then all of a sudden, something happens. Something really magical. The chicken falls apart and sucks up the sauce and you have this.
Actually, I let it cook a few more minutes and it all looked like it does on the left of the pan. Lots of lovely, shredded meat.
This meat is so good and wonderful. You can do it with steak, too. You can make quesadilla's with it.
All you have to do is you some cheese, I used the Chihuahua, Mexican melting cheese, but any would work. But you can't say you ate Chihuahua cheese if you did that. Then spoon over some of your lovely meat and fry in some light oil until browned and then flip (carefully!) to brown the other side. I did this and then used a pizza cutter to cut up. The kids loved it! If you have a panini press that would work wonderfully as well.

I took some of the Chihuahua cheeze and melted it with some milk.
This was really yummy when spooned over the finished chimichanga's! You can use flour tortilla's again and spoon some meat in them, roll them up and fry in about a 1/2 inch of oil. Just fry till lightly browned and (carefully!) flip to brown the other side.

We garnished with homemade pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, tomato and lettuce and beans. I used to love some refried beans, but lately, I've been jiving on these Grillin' beans called Fiesta Beans. They are very tasty with the rest of the food. I meant to add the beans directly into my chimichanga, but I forgot. So, I piled it all high, and dug in.

It was good.

Disclaimer: I do not claim that this food is even relatively, genuinely Mexican. I just like it. A lot.

No comments: