Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Crockpot Pork Roast

What is it about roast?

You make a roast and everyone thinks you've done something fantastic.

Ooh! You're having roast for dinner? Did someone win a pulitzer prize?

Nope, we just love to make roasts.

They're easy!

This morning, on my way in to work, I threw these two large pork loins in the crock pot. We've got 5 in our family and are major meatatarians.

So, yeah, two.

Then, I topped it with 2 packets of onion soup mix and a 1/2 cup Dale's Seasoning.

Then, I poured enough beef broth to fill the crock pot halfway up the meat. I ended up adding about a cup and a half.

Then, I set it to low and went to work.

The end.

Sorry.

So, when I got home, the whole house smelled good with Eu De Pot Roast. I used tongs to lift out the roast onto plates. *I totally wrote that I used tongues to lift the potroast out, THAT woulda been interesting*

Yikes, it looks like I put just a little too much liquid in. That's ok. Gravy is good.
I had the fireman pour the juices into a saucepan for me. Cause he's manly like that.

But I poured it through one of these strainers. That way it caught all the bits that were floating in the water. The bits will make your gravy lumpy.


I mixed up 4 tablespoons of cornstarch with 6 tablespoons of water. Stirring until totally dissolved *cornstarch clumps when it gets warm*. Pour this into your saucepan and stir. Heat until boiling, let boil for about a minute or until thickened.
Normally my pork gravy is extremely dark from the Dale's Seasoning, but I will note that we couldn't find Dale's the last time we were at the store and used an off brand instead. It did not work as well as the real thing and we have rectified the situation since.

I almost didn't post this recipe because the gravy turned out so light, but the family said it still tasted awesome. So, don't worry about the light color. If you have Dale's, use it, you won't regret it. If you don't have Dale's, try a little soy sauce, onion powder, & garlic powder. It's not completely the same, but it would work in a pinch.

Cut the roast against the grain, so it's easier to eat. We're fancy that way and it's how my Great Grandma taught me.

We served it with corn and the mashed turnips from yesterday's post. The color wasn't there on this recipe, but the flavor still was!
The recipe summary:
If you're making just one roast, I would recommend adding
1 packet of onion soup mix, about 1/4 cup of Dale's or more, and enough beef broth to come up the roast an inch or two, about a third to half the way covered. My crockpot has a seal on it and it really keeps the moisture in. The fireman's crockpot lid is glass and just sits there and it lets some steam out, so I have been used to adding more liquid.

Set to low for around 7-9 hours. If you set it before you leave for work, it should be fine. It will be seriously tender.

Dissolve 4 tablespoons of cornstarch and 6 tablespoons of water in a small glass or mug.

Pour the juices and the cornstarch mixture into a saucepan. Bring up to boiling and boil for 3-5 minutes or until thick. Taste and add additional salt if necessary.


No comments: