Pages

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Single Mom

A mom came in work today and I was chatting with her about something and she mentioned how I'm a single mom, too, so I should understand. And that really got me thinking. I really hate that term, single mom, partly because I am now a statistic, partly because why does that get to define me? I am a mom, yes, I am also a woman, an employee, a boss, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a co-worker, an ex-wife, and a pretty decent person. That last part could be up for debate, depending on who you are. But for some reason, people find out I'm single and they just stamp me with that label. Uh, thanks? I guess I don't like how some women try to use it as a marketing strategy for quite a bit of things. When a lot of married mom's do most of the work anyway, sometimes it's the dad's, I'm NOT leaving you wonderful guys out, don't worry.

But still, it's like since we're single we should get lots of things that other mom's or dad's don't. I dont' get that. Lots of married people have those problems. And it's just the way things are. I could say, well, I can't do that cause I have no one to watch my daughter, and that's fine, but I'm not saying it like poor me. That's so annoying. It's just life. If I really want to, I'll try to find a babysitter, but I'm a mom. It's just the way the cards fall sometimes.

No comments: