Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

High Fiber Pasta Love

I just wanted to share with you a high fiber, lower net carb pasta that discovered, Ronzoni Smart Taste, Spaghetti.
I try to watch my carb intake, but loooooove carbs.

I could eat pasta plain.

Give me a bowl of any pasta with some butter with a little salt and I'm in heaven!

But, when you up your fiber intake, it lowers the carb effect on your body.

So, I tried the 100% whole grain pasta, made with durum flour. Regular pasta is made with Semolina flour.

I wish I liked it. It's not bad, per se. There's a nice nutty taste and the texture is great, but it's not hte same thing as sitting to a bowl of pasta. I couldn't make the switch.
This Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta, which comes in a few pasta shapes, isn't quite as high in fiber, but it's close! It's 2.5 times as high as regular pasta. It's a mix of semolina and durum flour.

Ronzoni on the left, regular on the right. Only slightly different in looks.

Honestly? I can't tell the difference in taste.

The kids can't tell either. I didn't tell them until after they were halfway done. Seriously. Tastes the same.

So, if you're not willing to give up taste, but if you want the health benefits, this is a good alternative.

I just checked their website, they offer a Garden version, made with vegetables, the Smart Taste mix and a whole wheat option.

Here's how they ranked in nutritional content per 2 oz serving:
Regular pasta: 211 calories, 43 grams carbs, 2 grams fiber (41 net carbs), 7 grams protein, 2 grams sugar.
Smart Taste:  170 calories, 40 grams carbs, 5 grams fiber (35 net carbs), 6 grams protein, 1 gram sugar.
Whole Grain: 180 calories, 41 grams carbs, 6 grams fiber (35 net carbs), 7 grams protein, 1 gram sugar.
Garden Delight: 190 calories, 40 grams carbs, 4 grams fiber (36 net carbs), 7 grams protein, 2 grams sugar.

You can do your own comparison. I was quite impressed.

*Note: I have no connection with Ronzoni, they do not know who I am. Just wanted to share with you guys one of my happy finds.

No comments: