Pages

Thursday, March 08, 2012

Just Brickin' It

We finally have lovely weather! It's beautiful.

It's warm and the sun is shining. It's fairly windy, but I kind of like that!

With the wonderful weather, the fireman got outside and cut all of the small filler pieces for the brick wall.

This is our living room standing near the dining room table. We'll be able to move the piano back and rearrange some when it's finished.

The barn beams look great with the brick wall.

And the other side of the wall is bricked, too.

I really love how it looks like a real brick wall. I'm so glad we did both sides.

This wall runs to our bedroom. So, you can see a bit of the brick when you're standing in our room.

I love it!
He had to cut around the outlets to fit the pieces.

Once we get the mortar filled in, we have new light switches with decorative plates to fit over them. They will fit flush with the brick wall.

Have you ever heard of push button switches?
This is what it looks like. It's a toggle switch. You push the top one to turn the light on and the bottom to turn it off. It's a reproduction of antique hardware and has mother of pearl inlay on the knobs. I think it'll make this area look amazing.

This is the light switch plate we're considering. We are looking at it in a wroght iron finish, so it'll be mainly black. It's forged steel and nice and heavy.

They do have plain ones without all the interest, but we kind of like this. It looks better with the black finish, but unfortunately, I couldn't grab the photo off the internet.  *sigh*

But you can find it here if you're interested, just select the oil rubbed bronze finish. It says oil rubbed bronze, but it looks like wrought iron to me.

So, we have the push button switches, we bought them last fall, but haven't bough the covers yet. Once we get the mortar in the brick, we'll start switching out the switches... hehehe

I think it'll look cool against the brick and against the dark green wall by the dining room table and the mural. It's vintage and it's industrial-looking.


What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great Jen! You all did a fab job! I wonder how many hours it took to get it done?

Jana said...

It's going to be really cool. I'm not sure I'd be all that crazy about the function of toggle switches like that (flipping takes less thought! lol) but the style is gorgeous and will look wonderful and have a cool vintage vibe with the brick. Can't wait to see the finished product. :)

Jana said...

Oh, and PS...I'm in love with those wood beams. *swoon*

JenMarie said...

Thanks!
Well, we worked on it, off and one for probably 2-3 weeks. The large wall was 13 bricks across, I think, and we laid rosen paper down and laid the brick faces down and squeezed powergrab onto the back and lined it up with the spacer and put it up. We did 4-5 lines at a time.

Well, the dining room and living room lights don't get turned on and off like bedroom/bathroom lights, so I don't think it'll be a big deal. And I think the look is worth it! :) Me, too. I love love love those wood beams. It's silly.