Pages

Monday, March 05, 2012

Sloppy Joe's

I love Sloppy Joe's.

My kids inhale it. They request it regularly.

It's rich, hearty and a little sweet.

And you can have it on the table in about 30 minutes. Total win, win.

Just brown up and drain 2 pounds of hamburger, cause you will want leftovers to feed the kiddos when you don't feel like cooking. Like tomorrow. Or lunches on the weekends.
Then, finely dice up about 1/2 cup onion, one small or half of a large onion.
Add your onion to the ground beef and sautee it.
This breaks the onion down so that you get a lot of flavor, but not a lot of onion-y chunks. My kids don't like onion-y chunks and I assume your children are as picky as my children. Please don't correct me if I'm wrong.

Then add 3 small cans of tomato sauce, 1/3 of a cup of ketchup, dash of salt and pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. *More or less sugar as desired.*
Stir this up and let it simmer on low for about 5-10 minutes, just to thicken and for the flavors to incorporate.

Serve on buns or sliced bread. This is also good on rice or baked potatoes!

Add a slice of cheese for a Sloppy Joe Melt. It makes you fancy.


The Recipe:
Sloppy Joe's
2 lbs browned hamburger meat
1/2 cup finely diced onion
3 small cans of tomato sauce
1/3 cup ketchup
2 Tbl brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder *optional*
dash salt and pepper

Saute the onions with the browned hamburger meat for a few minutes until translucent, then add the remaining ingredients. Simmer the mixture on low for 5-10 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken.
Serve on rolls or sliced bread.

2 comments:

Jana said...

Jen, girl, I made this last night and it was SO GOOD. I quartered it, though, using a half a pound of ground turkey instead of beef, a quarter of an onion, an 1/8th cup of ketchup and added a teaspoon of minced garlic with the seasonings. It made just enough for me to have one joe for supper last night and another for lunch the next day. So yay!

Thanks for the great recipes and keep 'em coming.

JenMarie said...

Awesome! I'm so glad you like it. The kids love this when I make it. It's one of those meals that everyone loves.

You know it freezes well, too.