Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Magic Cereal Bake



What is this?

Well, it is a creation of mine. It is the reason I exist.

Foodwise, that is.
This is it for me, folks. This is what I think of when I want something sweet. It's what I dream about.

And Oh Em Gee, just looking at these? Well, the pictures make me salivate. It literally makes me start to sweat. I want it that badly.

I really can't explain.

So, get creative, get a towel and try it out.

This is actually a variation from Magic Cookie Bars. I still actually call it that, but it's not really that.

Not, like, at all.

This is something so much more.

When my sister and I were younger and picky, as kids are, my mom didn't include coconut or walnuts in Magic Cookie Bars.

Well, wait, what is it without those ingredients?

A bowl full of gloriousness, that's what!

Pour 5 cups of frosted flakes into a 9x13 pan. Preheat your oven to 325 and melt 1 stick of margerine.
Amen.

Now, pour the margerine into your cereal and stir it around. You could use corn flakes, but then you'd have to add 3 tablespoons of sugar.

We want sweets and we want them NOW, so we're going to keep frosted flakes on hand in a box marked *For Magic Only* with black magic marker. See? The world just made sense.

Once this is all stirred up and the lovely margerine is coating the sugar coated cornflakes, we pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over it all.


Now, I use the fat free sweetened condensed milk. Yes, I know it's fruitless. I mean, why when you're taking corn flakes and soaking them in sugar and butter, and then pouring over milk and sugar concentrate over it, would you even worry about the additional fat?

Well, you don't, but it cooks up better.

Trust me.

Then, after you get this all poured over and delicious looking, you sprinkle, just the barest of handfuls of chocolate chips over the whole thing.

Get it?

I love chocolate, I could swim in it. But this? This is about the sugar, it's not about the chocolate. It's about the vanilla flavoring and the sugar and the crunchiness and about the chewiness. It's definitely about all of that.

The way the sugar browns, it kind of turns to butterscotch, or toffee? I'm not sure. It's part of the magic. It's not okay to question it.

Bake this, for 20-25 minutes until thoroughly bubbly and browning.

Do you see this?

This is heaven.

It's also majorly sticky, and will turn to candy in the corners. So, you'll want to use a large spoon and spoon out of the ends first. Otherwise you will be soaking for a while, my friend.

Spoon the luciousness into a bowl. It's messy, it's sticky, it's gooey.

It's like a sugar explosion.

My favorite part is how crispy and chewy the corn flakes are.

I guarantee you've never had anything like this before.

It's like making candy and saying it's okay to eat the whole bowlful.

The only problem? When I make this I eat approximately 3/4 of the pan. I'm really not joking.

And I'm realy not ashamed. I just don't let myself make it that often.

And I always, always, always keep a box in the cabinet, hid in the back, marked *For Magic Only* and 2-4 cans of sweetened condensed milk just for this purpose.

Cause when the mood strikes? You'd better be ready to handle the awesomeness.

The Recipe:
Magic Cereal Bake
5 cups of frosted flakes (or corn flakes and 3 Tbl sugar)
1 stick (1/2 cup) melted margerine
1 can fat free sweetened condensed milk
1 handful (1/3 cup) chocolate chips

Stir the melted margerine and frosted flakes in a 9x13 pan. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over all. Do not stir. Toss the chocolate chips over. Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes or until brown and bubbly.

If you have leftovers, scoop it out into a bowl and cover. Soak the 9x13 pan in hot water and the sugar will melt off. But that's just funny talk, cause you so aren't going to have leftovers.

Variation: To get more of a bar, you could crush your frosted flakes to pieces and press into the bottom of the 9x13, then pour the ingredients over it. But I don't think the flakes would be so chewy/crispy. And that's my favorite part.

Amen.

If you think of a better name, please suggest it!

2 comments:

Jana said...

I'll admit, I was a little doubtfull when I first starting reading. But the chocolate chips and sweetend condensed milk won me over. I'll definitely hafta give this a go at some point.

I think I'll buy some of that new pan liner stuff, though, so no soaking necessary. ;-)

JenMarie said...

Yeah, I know it's weird looking, but words cannot express how amazing this is. It's drool worthy.