Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Life, movies and gardening

With the girl gone, the fireman and I have been going to see movies, out to eat and spending more quality time together when the boys are at their mom's. It's been a lot of fun. I miss her a lot, but it's nice having some one on one time with the hubby.

Last Friday, the fireman was at work, and I went to see Harry Potter by myself. It was great! Oddly enough, I always thought it'd be weird to go to a movie by myself, but it totally wasn't. I loved every minute of it. Great ending!

We went out on Monday night to see Horrible Bosses. Afterwards, we remembered that Applebee's has 1/2 price appetizers after 9pm and stopped there for some wings. I ALMOST got the molten chocolate cake, but I DIDN'T!

Probably should have.

I finished reading Molly Harper's series Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs. Fun series. Vampire romance, but it's campy and funny and a light read.

Last night hubby made awesome game hens on the grill. Yum!
He also made these:
Fresh zucchini from the garden! The garden's doing great. I normally fry sliced zucchini in a pan with some olive oil, salt and dill. But hubby wrapped it in tin foil, took some of the seeds out of the center, and put butter, salt and pepper in it. Closed the foil at the top and grilled it!

They were amazing!

Update on the garden:

The lettuces/spinach mixture on the left, we recently pulled out. Seems that excessive heat makes leaf lettuce bitter.

Who knew?


The yellow crook neck squash here has been producing nicely as well, we have two that we can probably pull today or tomorrow. The tomato plants are FULL, but they're still green. I cannot wait for tomatoes!!!

Actually, these pics are a few days old and the tomato plants are prob nearly 5 feet high now.

We also have gotten 3 really nice cucumbers, with more coming along! And the brussels sprouts have little buds on them, so I'm hoping that turns out good. I've never done brussels sprouts before, so I don't know what to expect.

I'm working on my bike again. One of my rear turn signals, that I changed out to led lights last year, broke, because it was plastic and cheap. In the meantime, I've been using hand signals, and not driving at night, because no one can see that.

Anyway, I found a new brake light

When you press the brakes, the center lights light up red, but when you hit the left or right turn signal, the left or right outer lights light up yellow, and blink. This way, I won't have turn signals on the rear of the bike either! I took the front ones off last year and bought new mirrors with led lights in the stems for turn signals.

I like the sleek look of having no turn signals sticking out.

And LED lights are brighter and more noticable than the old ones.

I'll post pictures when it's done.

House update:
We found a new plasterer because the other guy hasn't gotten back to us, and he's supposed to be fixing THE HOLE this week! So, if that goes as expected, I will have finished pictures of the ceiling and we can finish up the living room. Which means, painting the ceiling, painting the hallway walls, putting up that last beam near the door. That's about it!

The flooring is not in yet, but that'll be the last touch on the space. Yay!

2 comments:

Jana said...

Sounds like things are coming along nicely. :) Love that you have a garden. I like the produce from it but hate the work. hehehe

JenMarie said...

Thanks! I think it's kind of relaxing to walk out and see how everything is progressing and water it. :)