Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Baked Turnip Fries

I know, I know.

I have a problem with the turnips. I keep making them.

But, they are sooooo goooood. I just can't get over the flavor of the turnip. How did I not know how good they were? They're all naturally sweet and tasty.

In my defense, the fireman bought 6 turnips the other day, and I made Mashed Turnips last week and had 3 left over. So, I had to make something with them.

I thought about a vegetable beef soup/stew with turnips, yum. I thought about turnip chips, like wedges, and I decided on these turnip fries.

I did some research on how they cook, cause they are have a lot of moisture in them.

By the way, turnips cook way down.

3 turnips is enough for 2-3 people, depending on how hungry they are.

Someone online said that the smaller pieces got crunchier and were more pleasant, so I thought, Shoestrings!

After peeling the turnips *thanks fireman*, I sliced the turnips thinly, like 1/4 of an inch.

Then, I laid then flat and sliced them the other direction.
They're very pretty!

See? It looks like so many.

You could try frying these in hot oil and they may come out crispier, but if I'm going to deep fry something, it's gonna be a potato.

Then, I scooped these into a big bowl and added:

1/3 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated (I used the can) *you're not alone, Jana*
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp olive oil

Stir with a large wooden spoon.

The wooden spoon is a necessity.

Not really.

Then spread out on an oiled cookie sheet.


They will stick to the cookie sheet. They just will. It's the moisture. Have you ever baked potatoes with onions? The onions always stick. It's like that.

Bake at 450 for about 30 minutes, turning halfway.

You could lay so they are not touching, but they're so small and it would take forever to line them all up. So, I just spread them out. When you turn them halfway through, they will be soft. Some of them will break.

It's not the prettiest thing in the world.

Actually, I told the fireman that I thought it was a food-failure.

Then, we tasted them.

BAM! Flavor explosion!

They are tasty! And hard to stay out of. But they are not really crunchy. There are crispy bits, but the turnip itself is softened. But it's really flavorful.
They kind of reminded the fireman of shoestring onions. Onions don't really get crispy, but they sure are tasty.

They would work well in slices I think, or even thick 'fries'. You could layer them on a grate that way.

The fireman wanted to try them like this but sliced up and pan fried. Like fried potatoes?

Try them, but don't expect them to be gorgeous. They're a tasty way to prepare turnips, which are really good for you.

The fireman and I literally stood over the cookie sheet after supper and snacked on the remainders. They're addictive.

I have been experimenting with different veggies and I've been so surprised by how many different flavors I can get out of each vegetable. Also, I have had a lot of fun with trying new vegetables.

Why is it that we always put green beans, or corn, or peas on the table? Is it really just because they're canned and easily accessible?

Turnips aren't expensive, neither are carrots or cabbage, especially if you buy them in the season. And you can get brussels sprouts and broccoli and cauliflower in the freezer section, which makes them keep much longer.

All these thoughts about new veggies have me excited to plan my garden in a couple of months!

I gotta go make a list!

5 comments:

Jana said...

You know what's sad? I never realized the turnip was something people ate. I always associate turnips with the greens which are really popular in the south.

Turnip greens by the way are disgusting. lol My mother loves them but they stink and are bitter and gross.

I may have to consider trying the actual turnip, though. You haven't steered me wrong yet. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I am with Jana about turnip greens, I had to laugh when I read what she wrote. But, I do like turnips and will have to try roasting them like Jen did. Another good one Jen. Mom

JenMarie said...

LOL!
I love turnips. They are naturally sweet and really tasty!

nicosland said...

I just made turnip fries for supper but the turnips here in Newfoundland Canada are yellowish inside, not white. They weren't bad though next time I think I'm going to cook them longer. I had them on for 20 minutes which didn't thoroughly cook them inside.

JenMarie said...

I did cut them really thin for these, so they probably cooked quicker because of that. THey never get really crispy, except for some edges and the topping, but the flavor was really good.

Hope you have better luck with them next time!