Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Basil & Parmesan Tomato Soup

This tomato soup was inspired by a trip to Applebee's. The fireman and I stopped by for lunch one day and had their soup and salad. I was so enamored by their Tomato & Basil soup that I knew I had to recreate it.

I like mine better.... *shhhhh*

It's quick and surprisingly cheap to make.

It all starts out with diced onion, as most good soups do. I used a whole small yellow onion. About 1/2 cup, diced.

I just sautee'd it in a dutch oven or bean pot. Saute it with a teaspoon of olive oil. Add 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic. I keep some in a jar in my fridge to have on hand and it keeps forever.

Let that saute for a bit, then add 3 cups of chicken broth and 2 (28oz) cans of crushed tomatoes. The chicken broth and tomatoes were less than $5. I bought the store brand. This is not an expensive dish.

Bring this to a boil and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes to get the flavors to blend.

Then, you'll need to puree it. If you have an immersion blender, just stick it in the pot and blend it up. If not, you'll need to take it off the heat and let it cool some before blending it in batches.
You're really only trying to blend up the onions. I left some texture to the tomatoes, which I really loved. There were no chunks of tomatoes, but there was some texture.
Grab a bunch of basil leaves, roll them in a tight ball and cut them in thin slices. Then cut to small chunks.

You'll want a good amount, about 1/3 cup worth of chopped basil. The flavor really permeates into the dish.

I also used fresh parsley, cause it was $.58 per bunch. About 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, if you are using dried, only use about 1 teaspoon, and 1 teaspoon of dried italian herbs (or just oregano). Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a good shake of pepper.

Throw this into the soup, along with 3/4 cup of lowfat milk and 1/3 cup sugar (I used about 5 teaspoons of stevia which is about twice as sweet).

Bring this to a boil and then reduce the heat to let it simmer, uncovered for about 20 minutes.
The flavor of this soup is rich and savory. I really wish I could let you taste it, it is nothing like the canned stuff, and I like the canned stuff. It's not in your face tomatoey and it's not super duper creamy.

It's definitely not runny soup. It's heavy and warm, and just a little sweet.


When you serve it up, top it with some nice grated parmesan. It really gives this soup a flavor that's out of this world.

It's a flavor explosion in your mouth.

Or not, if that sounds frightening.

I had to make this soup. It was important that I did.

Why?

Cause we had this happen.

And then she did this.

And our dog, Duchess, did this.

Why do we have chairs stacked up next to the tree, you ask?

Cause that's how the girl gets up into the tree. Duh.

Snow is fun.

It's especially fun when you come back into a warm house with piping hot Basil & Parmesan Tomato Soup.

That, and Stovetop Hot Cocoa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try it. You are so much fun! You Rock

JenMarie said...

That's probably my mom, ya'll. ;)
...or my sister.

But I do appreciate any and all comments that are this positive!