Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Dilly Egg Cups

Some mornings you have to get up early.

But you still want to eat a healthy breakfast, give yourself a decent protein start for the day, you know, without adding a ton of fat.

Eggs are boring.

The fireman would NOT agree with that statement.

He has eggs every morning of every day.

Without fail.

All of these things made me come up with Dilly Egg Cups.

I started with a small batch, only 2 eggs, cause I didn't know how it would turn out. Believe me, I ended up making more the next day.

To this, add 3 tablespoons of lowfat milk, 1/2 teaspoon dill weed, a good shake of salt and pepper.
Hand this to your favorite 8 year old to whisk up. Make sure you have leftover mint oreos on the counter to tease you with their chocolatey goodness.

Laugh at them and tell them that they are not going to get you to break your resolve!

They will not help you fit into those skinny jeans. No matter what they tell you.

Be strong, my friends.

Cut some sliced deli ham into half or fourths, whatever fits in a muffin tin.

Why don't more people use dill? It's awesome. Especially with eggs.

Pour the egg mixture into the ham cups.

Top with swiss cheese. I used one square of sliced swiss, cut into fourths.

Just tenderly set on top, we want the swiss to get baked and kinda crispy.

What is it about baked swiss? It tastes totally different from sliced swiss. I like both, but baked swiss?

*sigh*

Can you tell I love food?

If you can't, you aren't paying any attention.

Bake these at 350 for about 10 minutes.
See how pretty they bake up. Let the tops just lightly brown.

They puff up, too. But they will settle, don't worry.

The exposed edges of ham get all crispy and yummy.

You should bake up 8 of these, 4 eggs worth, and store the rest of them in a ziploc bag. Pop 2 in the toaster oven and they come out perfect!

Quick, easy, healthy! Make ahead of time!

Play with the recipe. Use different meats or cheese's.

I definitely made more, and so should you!
Then look outside at the morning light on the snow.


Mornings can be calm and beautiful! Especially with a full belly!
Snow is so pretty! Snow is so cold!

Go back inside and have another helping of warm dilly egg cups and some coffee to warm up.


4 comments:

Jana said...

Okay, so these look totally interesting and completely doable. Imma hafta try these fo sho. ;-) I may make them for a quick and easy weeknight supper instead of breakfast, though. I love breakfast foods for suppper.

Also? I too, love dill. The more dill the better.

JenMarie said...

:) I'm glad I'm not alone in my dill loving.

They're kind of fun to whip up and you can play around with the toppings. Throw any veggies in that you'd like!

Jana said...

I'm thinking mushrooms would be really good with these. Or peppers and onions. Mmmm...Makin' me hungry! :-)

JenMarie said...

Yum! Yep, you can mix up whatever you like in omelet's in them! Peppers would be delicious, I never thought of them! Ooh, you could make a mexican one with leftover taco meat and salsa.
And they can be baked ahead of time for a quick breakfast/snack.