Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sweet Fluffy Omelet, Revisited

I have adjusted my recipe for the sweet, fluffy omelet. I really only changed it by adding a 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch and a tablespoon of milk. But since it's different, and I've gotten better at the cooking and all, I figured I'd post a revisited tutorial.

Besides, my sister asked me to.

This is a little more Dukan-Diet friendly. I normally added fruit to it, and you still totally could, but with this version, I add cinnamon to the yolks and it's quite good just as it is.

Quite.

I also now use my KitchenAid to mix the whites. Not sure what I was thinking before. My mom made some mention about it, now that she has a beautiful red one of her own. My dad rocks, for buying it for her for Christmas.

I thought, duh! Why don't I use it. And it saves me soooo many steps and lots of time.

I use 3 eggs. Whites only in the mixer. Yolks in a small bowl. I toss 1 yolk in the dog's bowl to keep my yolks down to 2 a day, they have a bit more fat in them. Then, turn it on! Let the mixer do the work.

To your yolks, add: 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (only like 1.166 grams of carbs), 1 tablespoon of milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon of sweetener (I use stevia), or 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (or more if you love it).

I mix with a spatula, cause you're gonna fold it into the fluffy egg whites once you're done.
Now gently, fold it into the whites and scrape out into a skillet. Mine is preheated cause it's cast iron, but whatever you're using, keep the heat VERY LOW.
Fluffy!

Put a lid on it. Or a cookie sheet if you don't have one. This will help steam it and cook it through. The cornstarch helps fluff it a bit and also gives it more of a soft tooth, or a pancake like texture.

You could probably add a whole teaspoon of cornstarch for more texture, at still only a couple grams of carbs.


Check the bottom a bit with a knife. When you see it only slightly starting to brown, take it off the heat and place under a broiler. I

It only pulled away from the sides here in this picture cause I got air underneath it. It won't do that by itself.

It won't take long under the broiler, only until when you touch the top of it, the skin doesn't come up wet on your fingers. It gets like a light shell.

It's only just barely browned. Then I flip it out on a plate. See how it's only lightly browned?
Then I top it with a tablespoon of fat free cool whip. It still has some sugar in it, but it's very low. When comparing sugar free cool whip and fat free cool whip. The fat free is nearly as low in carbs, but the sugar free has some fat. I figure the fat free as the better choice for me and use that.


Breakfast! Yum!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet! Thanks Jen!

Jana said...

Seriously, I've GOT to try this. It looks yummy.

JenMarie said...

Thanks! It's definitely better now that I've tweaked it. I love how recipes evolve with time. :)

AND it's uber healthy! Extra protein to amp your metabolism, and low in fat and carbs.