Pages

Thursday, January 05, 2012

Crockpot Chicken

This is a simple chicken dish.

It's not fancy.

But what it is, is tender.

It is, after all, made in a crock pot.

I combined, 1 can chicken stock (I used 98% fat free), 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, dash of pepper, 1/4 cup white wine and 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic.
Stick 4 chicken breasts in the microwave to defrost and leave for work having your fireman throw them in here once they're thawed out.

What's that?

You don't have a fireman to do that?

Oh, sorry. You should really get one of those.

So, once your chicken's mostly thawed out, toss the chicken breasts in the broth/wine mixture and put a lid on it.

Cook on low for about 8 hours.

When you get home, the chicken will look like this.

So, not terribly pretty, but the chicken itself was unbelievably tender.

The flavor is mild, but nice.

If you have time, pour the liquid in a sauce pan, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced. Pour this over the chicken as you serve it.

This chicken can be used in countless ways. It's tender and lightly seasoned, so you can shred it and add it to a rice dish, or to a hashbrown casserole, or any casserole for that matter.

Or you can cook up a whole bag to have on hand and warm it up for lunch on top of a salad.

It would also be good in red sauce for enchiladas or chimichangas, although I might omit the wine for this purpose.

I dished mine up with steamed broccoli, poured the reduction sauce over, and sprinkled with parmesan cheese.


Unbelieveably tender.

The chicken, not the broccoli. I don't like soft broccoli, but that's just me.

Next time, I think I'll top with a slice of swiss cheese over both. Swiss is my friend.

Easy, simple, countless variations.

No comments: