Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Bruschetta Chicken

This recipe came to me in a fit of carb craving.

I wanted bruschetta, I needed bruschetta. But I can't have it right now. Carbs and all.

Then, I thought. Wait, the tomatoes and stuff doesn't have to go on bread.

In fact, I've seen lots of recipes where people make a tomato salad with a nice balsamic/oil dressing and eat it as a side dish.

So..... why couldn't I make bruschetta as a side dish, and eat it with a spoon?

Wait! Why couldn't I pound a chicken breast flat and use it as the base to a healthy bruschetta?!

Why indeed.

And so, my friends, that's exactly what I did.

First I made bruschetta.

In a bowl, combine a heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 2 teaspoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar.
Then, roll up and mince about 1 tablespoon of fresh basil, and a teaspoon of parsley if you have it. I did. I had extra fresh basil and parsley from my Basil & Parmesan Tomato Soup I made a couple of weeks ago. By the way, my mom tried it and loved it!

Dice up 3 roma tomatoes, about 2 cups worth.

Mix it all up! Then, let it sit for at least an hour for the flavors to marinade.
If you like garlic, you will love this. It's fresh and savory. Yum. Makes me wish for summer.

Pound 4-6 chicken breasts flat. Less messy if you use a ziploc bag.

Salt and pepper the chicken, popped it on a foiled baking dish.
Then, I topped each with a bit of mozerella and parmesan cheese.
I will probably use mostly parmesan cheese next time, as I LOVE it.

Then, bake for 20 minutes at 350. It doesn't take long since the chicken is pounded out flat. And the cheese helps keep the chicken from drying out.

You could sear the breasts in a skillet first, not to cook all of the way, but just to caramelize the meat a bit. But I was in a hurry to eat the bruschetta.

The fireman and I had already had a couple of teaspoons a piece, right out of the bowl.

The cheese had just started to lightly brown in a couple of places and the chicken was cooked through and moist.


Then I topped it with that amazing bruschetta and a few flakes of fresh parmesan cheese.

Tasted like summer!

I can only imagine what this would taste like with tomatoes and basil fresh from the garden. I'll let you know this summer...

Have a great weekend!

No comments: