Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Chicken Marsala, Revisited

Another revisited recipe!

This really isn't a different recipe than the one I posted before, but I wanted to update the photos. I should have just waited to post the recipe until I made it again with better pictures, but I had gotten excited about it, I guess.

I did change it a bit, again. I was out of marsala wine. No big. I used moscato. It's still a sweet wine, but not as dark as marsala, so the sauce isn't quite as dark. Madeira wine would also be really good.

I properly browned the chicken this time.

In smaller batches to caramelize the pounded flat chicken breasts and making yummy tidbits in the skillet.


The mushrooms smelled awesome!

Then I added the chicken back to the sauce once it had reduced by about half to a thick brown sauce.

I added diced onions this time, but it does detract from the wine flavor some. And added additional fluid. So, up to you if you love onion. Or you could add powdered onion to keep the sauce simple, rich and thick.

I actually think I like the flavor without the onions better.

The Recipe:
4 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 inch thick (salted and peppered)
1 teaspoon olive oil (for cooking chicken)
1 small container of button mushrooms, or 2 cups
1 teaspoon olive oil (for cooking mushrooms)
2 cups marsala wine
1 1/2 cups beef stock or broth
1 cup shredded mozzarella.
Pound your chicken flat, salt and pepper, pan fry in a teaspoon or less olive oil. Fry in small batches for browning. Remove to rest on a plate.
Slice the mushrooms and saute in the skillet, adding a bit of margerine if necessary, or olive oil.
Add wine and beef stock, bring to a boil, let simmer for 20 minutes, or until reduced by half and thick and rich.
Put chicken back into sauce to warm and serve with shredded mozzarella sprinkled over chicken. If it's all very hot, the cheese will melt if you let it sit a couple of minutes, or pop under a broiler or in the micro for a bit to melt it a tad.

The cheese adds some sweetness as well.

It's a very good dish! The sauce is really good and you can keep any leftover sauce to pour over steaks or pork chops.

No comments: